Current as of: November, 2014
Posts Tagged ‘calcium’
Feb
01

The refined taste of balsamic vinegar is known to gourmets throughout the world. This is  a condiment that is used as a marinade or sauce. It delivers flavor and encourages chefs to invent new gastronomic masterpieces.

The history of vinegar is very ancient. Back in 1046 the future King Henry the second of Franconia was given a small barrel with an unusual product. This was the beginning of the popularity of vinegar throughtout noble families of Italy and Europe. The rich Italian families used balsamic vinegar on special recipes, the nuances were kept secret and handed down from generations to generations. Initially, the unique properties of balsamic vinegar were used only for medical reasons: severe inflammation and antimicrobial therapy. During 1503 plague’s Balsamic vinegar was used as a remedy to avoid becoming a victim of the disease.

 

It’s culinary properties were discovered much later. By adding a few drops in a variety of dishes, inhabitants of the ancient Italian provinces believed that it prolongs youth and gives longevity.

 

Balsamic vinegar is famous for its low calorific value. Potassium, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, sodium, iron, manganese, iron good for the blood vessels and bone tissue. Vitamin B stabilizes the nervous system and brain activity, and polyphenols- some of the best antioxidants, improve heart function.

 

Arugula and Parmesan 

 

Ingredients:

400 g arugula,

150 g parmesan,

black pepper,

 

Dressing: 

40 ml olive oil,

20 ml balsamic vinegar,

5 ml grape seeds oil,

Mix all of the ingredients, season with salt and sprinkle with Parmesan and black pepper.

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Jan
25

Calcium: Essential for Muscles and Bones

Calcium is the mineral that your body needs to make up bones and keep them strong. About 99% of the calcium in our bodies is stored in bones. The remaining 1% is stored in blood and soft tissue. If there is lack of calcium in your body, your muscles wouldn’t contact correctly and blood wouldn’t clot.

 

How Much of Calcium Do We Need? 

 

  • 19- 50 year olds: 1,000 milligrams
  • 51 years and up: 1,200 milligrams 

 

Recent research shows that drinking milk instead of soda will help you lose more weight and have a well balanced diet.

 

Fiber: Essential Nutrient for Overall Health 

 

Fiber is that part of food that the body can’t digest or absorb. It’s found in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. It’s very important to consume fiber- rich foods every day.

 

There are two types of fiber needed for overall health. Insoluble fiber, found in whole- wheat flour, nuts, and vegetables. All it does is promotes movement of food through the digestive system. Soluble fiber, found in oat, peas, beans, apples, and carrot dissolves in water that allows the body to retain more nutriest.

 

Magnesium: Essential Nutrient for Bones and Immune System 

 

Magnesium participates in hundreds of bodily functions that foster good health, and greatly contributes to bone structure.

 

How Much of Magnesium Do We Need? 

 

  • Men, 19-30: 400 milligrams;
  • 31 and older: 420 milligrams
  • Women, 19-30: 310 milligrams;
  • 31 and older: 320 milligrams

 

 

Vitamin E: An Essential Nutrient to a Healthy Body

 

Vitamin E is primary found in fatty foods such as nuts, seeds, and other antioxidants. Vitamin E is important for the protection of our cell membranes as to keep the skin, heart, and circulation healthy. Vitamin E protects the skin fro dangerous free radicals.

 

 

Vitamin C: An Essential Nutrient for a Healthy Body

 

Vitamin C helps with production of collagen, the connective tissue that keeps muscles, skin, and bones. And, like Vitamin E, vitamin C fights off antioxidants

 

How Much of Vitamin C Do We Need?

 

  • Men, 19 and older: 90 milligrams
  • Women, 19 and older: 75 milligrams

 

Vitamin A and Carotenoids

 

These two elements are important players in a good healthy body. Generally, Vitamin A is responsible for vision, genes, and immune functions. Vitamin A comes in two forms: retinol and carotenoids.

, , , , , ,